Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Default web browser for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS

I had been working on some security projects when it just occurred to me that i should check my own firefox browser version. Although i update my distro on a regular basis. I was surprised to see that the firefox version of my browser was 3.1 whereas 7.0.1 is out now!! It came as a shock, but the moral of the story is always update your web browser manually :)

As it turns out the mozilla ppa's are not available by default for ubuntu 10.04. But you can add the ppa manually and then upgrade your firefox version.


sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mozillateam/firefox-stable
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install firefox



Or you can always choose to do it manually, in that case you can download the latest version from the Firefox website and simply run it. But i had some issues with flash plug-ins in this case, a guide is given here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FirefoxNewVersion/MozillaBuilds. I have not tried it out, but you can try it out if you need. In that case do update me of your findings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment