Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

Purple screen on windows start when dual booting with ubuntu

Recently i installed Ubuntu alongside windows 7 on my Dell 15R 5537. Initially everything worked fine but after some update perhaps; windows stopped working. On selecting windows from the boot menu, it would show a purple screen, however i could hear windows boot and its start screen. Googled for days but did not find an exact solution. Here is what I did

First try doing this
On the grub menu highlight the windows menu item using the keyboard and then press 'e' to the end of the line that begins with "set root= *******" add 'quiet splash' so that it becomes
"set root= ******* quiet splash"
now press ctrl + x
Does it solve the problem? If it did now you proceed to make the change permanent

Start ubuntu
press ctrl + alt + t to open up terminal
type 'sudo gedit'
in the editor navigate to /boot/grub/grub.cfg and open the file
In the file select the menu entry for windows and copy it
Now open the file /etc/grub.d/40_custom
Paste the menu entry that you copied previously after the comments on a new line
In the menu entry add the "quiet splash" as done before
Save the file
Now run
sudo update-grub
Reboot, enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Try making Windows the first entry in the grub loader. This also solves the problem at times.
    p.s. if hitting enter does not work, then try waiting for the timer to expire and let windows load automatically. Hopefully this might help.
    I have windows 10. I select the windows entry, press 'e' and ctrl + 'x'. This is working for me as of present

    ReplyDelete
  2. This worked well for me Zaid, with a few minor changes;

    First, upon hitting 'e' to edit the grub entry, I noticed that there was no

    set root= *******" add 'quiet splash'

    entry; The closest thing was

    set root= 'hd0,msdos2'

    I inserted your recommended entry above the existing line, so that it looked like this;

    set root= ******* quiet splash
    set root= 'hd0,msdos2'

    --And it worked very well!

    Other mysteries;

    My grub menu has always listed two (2) Windows 7 loaders, one on sda1 and another on sda2. Before my Win 7 side crashed, I could select either one and get what looked like the same Win 7 OS with the same data. The grub file seems to point to two different Win 7 OS's though. After Win 7 crashed, and even after your repair worked, only the 2nd Win 7 on sda2 is working.

    Thanks again Zaid! You are a genius! :-)

    My system is a Lenovo Thinkpad 64-bit with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, and Windows 7 Pro.
    GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.8

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank You! Needs a little finesse but the bones are there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its still Not working for me. I am still stuck with the purple screen :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its still Not working for me. I am still stuck with the purple screen :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally i got it worked!! :).. I got my windows trouble shoot option by clicking f9 as the system reboots and then restored it from checkpoint.Then restarted and selected windows option from grub and it worked ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its work by just adding
    set root= ******* quiet splash

    Before the line
    set root= 'hd0,msdos2'

    ReplyDelete